Problems with granitecanyon DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Mar 15 22:28:41 UTC 2002

In article <a6trd9$ic7 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Albert Perrien II <rings888 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I've tried several times to update the domain phoenixcustom.com to include a
>MX record for it's mail server. I sent the following zone file back with the
>email message I recieved from granitecanyon's automated email, but none of
>the changes have taken effect, and I'm not getting an error message. (I
>checked using dig phoenixcustom.com any) What am I doing wrong?

The phoenixcustom.com domain doesn't seem to be installed on the GC server
at all.

>phoenixcustom.com. IN SOB www.phoenixcustom.com kalg.tscnet.com.

SOB?  Shouldn't that be SOA?

>phoenixcustom.com. IN NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
>phoenixcustom.com. IN NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
>
>phoenixcustom.com. IN RP kalg.tscnet.com.
>
>localhost.phoenixcustom.com IN A 127.0.0.1

Since you didn't end the name with a "." to indicate that the name is fully
qualified, the origin will be appended, so this creates an entry for
localhost.phoenixcustom.com.phoenixcustom.com.  Is that what you wanted?

>www   IN A 66.179.38.42
>mail   IN A 66.179.38.42
>
>66.179.38.42  IN PTR www
>66.179.38.42  IN PTR mail
>
>mail   IN MX 100 mail
>
>phoenixcustom  IN MX  100 mail

This creates an MX record for phoenixcustom.phoenixcustom.com, is that what
you wanted?

If you want mail for user at phoenixcustom.com to be delivered somewhere, you
need an MX record for the domain itself:

phoenixcustom.com. IN MX 100 mail

>Apologies for posting here... I am unable to post to news.granitecanyon.com.
>(It won't accept soaguest/soaguest as a username/password pair)

Their news server has been down for years.  But I thought they told people
to post to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains.  Are they now referring people to
comp.protocols.dns.bind instead?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA