propagation for .com tld

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Mar 15 15:49:32 UTC 2002

In article <a6s4qe$80h at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:
>	This is then loaded onto a server and the rest of the servers
>	transfer the zone from it.

Do the GTLD servers really use normal zone transfer for the COM domain?
Given the size of the domain and the DNS protocol's feeble "compression"
scheme, this seems like an incredibly inefficient way to do it, probably
taking the better part of a day.  My guess is that gzip can reduce its size
to around 10%, so it would be better for them to configure all the GTLD
servers as masters and perform periodic FTP's of the compressed zone file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA