Weird question.

Jobe Bittman jobe at tns.net
Thu Mar 14 00:03:36 UTC 2002

I can't query my own server for NS RRset because it believes it has
authority for domains that customers have moved and never told us they
moved. I cannot trust my server so I would have to query someone else's
name server. Also, the NS records could be wrong. For example, you slave a
bunch of domains before a transfer then change them to masters in
named.conf afterwards and forget to change the NS records when you update
the zone. Not that I ever did that before... You are correct there is no
reason to overload the whois servers. But how do I verify that the NS
record is correct? Is there a way to query the root servers to validate the
NS record? How?