DNS Takeover problem

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 11:12:54 UTC 2002

"E. van Harten" wrote:

> I've 2 DNS Servers running bind8 the problem is that if the first one fails,
> the second one is not taking over the jobs,
> does anyone know's how to solve this ?

Configure them and their clients correctly and the problem will
go away.

Come on we aren't psychic (Well I'm not).

Now are these name servers providing authoritative data? What
zones?
Are they providing recursive resolution? What clients?

What stops when one of the stops?

Most nameservers aren't "hot standby", normally both will be in
use, sharing the load, so if your backup isn't doing anything
before failure things probably aren't configured right.