How to secure DNS...

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sat Mar 2 10:57:21 UTC 2002

Christopher Corn <christopher_corn at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just setup my Bind server on my solaris 2.8 box, version 8.X.  This
> system is also going to be the DNS server for my zone, out on the
> internet.  Doing so makes my system accessible to the world.  I'm not
> too familiar with DNS, so my question is, can you secure the number of
> server that have access to my system?  Can you restrict access to only
> root srevers ? without blocking out the rest of the world.  MY
> understanding of DNs is that, when a zones' dns server cannot resolve,
> its then resolved throughthe root servers.  Therefore in theory i
> should be able to block out everyone but rootservers.  is this
> correct?

If you are unfamiliar with DNS i'll suggest you get a copy of
"Managing DNS and BIND".

There is a chapter that deals with the issues you ask about,
and by some strange coincident, that chapter is available
in Internet !!

See "http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/chapter/ch11.html"

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)