How to secure DNS...

Justin Scott lists at darktech.org
Sat Mar 2 04:14:35 UTC 2002

That is sort of how it works, but you're missing one step.  Once the other
DNS servers ask the root servers who is authorative, those resolvers will
contact your DNS server directly looking for authorative answeres to their
queries, so you much leave 53 open for TCP/UDP traffic if you want to run a
public DNS server.  For security, firewall everything else, restrict who can
use the server for recursive lookups, restrict who has access to perform
zone transfers, and make sure you're running the latest version possible.

Your only other option would be to have someone else handle your DNS
hosting.  A quick search on Google will reveal numerous outsourced DNS
providers.

-Justin Scott, Lead Developer
 Sceiron Internet Services, Inc.
 http://www.sceiron.com