Reverse DNS, Delegation, ISP not helping?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Sat Mar 2 01:55:00 UTC 2002

In article <a5p41a$634 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jeff <drogo at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>     Using dig, it looks to me like everything is ok on the ISP side
>of things after all.  I'm going to paste my zone info below, and
>perhaps someone can figure out why on earth this won't work?
>
>IPs allocated:  66.2.53.128/27 (255.255.255.224)

You mean 66.20.53.128/27, I believe.

>named.conf:
>
>	zone "128/27.53.20.66.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
>        type master;
>        file "named.amril.net.rev";
>};

The name of the domain that has been delegated to you is
128.53.20.66.in-addr.arpa, not 128/27.53.20.66.in-addr.arpa.  Get rid of
the /27 in the zone statement.

You see how much easier it is for us to advise you once you tell us the
real info.

>named.amril.net.rev:
>
>$TTL    3600
>$ORIGIN 128/27.53.20.66.in-addr.arpa.

Get rid of the /27 here.  Or get rid of the $ORIGIN statement entirely
(it's redundant, since the origin defaults to the zone name, and putting
the same thing in two places is a good way to cause problems if they get
out of sync).

>@       IN      SOA     ns1.amril.net. root.amril.net.  (
>                                2002022722      ; Serial
>                                86400   ; Refresh
>                                7200    ; Retry
>                                3600000 ; Expire
>                                172800 )        ; Minimum
>
>@       IN      NS      ns1.amril.net.

Add NS records for your ISP's secondary servers:

         IN      NS      ns2.cl.bellsouth.net.
         IN      NS      ns3.cl.bellsouth.net.

Replace "128" with "@", since the .128 entry is actually the zone name.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net