BIND 9.2.1 for NT crashes with "assertion failure"

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jun 21 05:12:09 UTC 2002

At 09:31 PM 6/20/02, Stanley Liu wrote:
>Dig returns "9.2.1" (note: my server is on an internal network).  As I run
>the binary straight from NT download, is this the definitive guide to what I
>am running?  Please advise.

The only place that guarantees the version being run on the machine is
what's logged in the application event log when named starts up. Usually
digging for version.bind returns you the correct version information, unless
you have added a version statement in the options section of named.conf.
I'm aware that you are running this on an internal network.

I'd advise a reinstall. You could also take a look at libisc.dll and make sure
that it's date is the same as all of the other dll's like libdns.dll.

>Thanks for your help.
>
>Stanley Liu
>stanley.liu at toyota.com.au
>
>C:\>dig chaos txt version.bind @150.45.153.38
>
>; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> chaos txt version.bind @150.45.153.38
>; (1 server found)
>;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
>;; got answer:
>;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6
>;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>;; QUERY SECTION:
>;;      version.bind, type = TXT, class = CHAOS
>
>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>version.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "9.2.1"
>
>;; Total query time: 1000 msec

Danny