lookup problem

Pad Hosmane phosmane at pop.fedworld.gov
Wed Jun 12 21:20:02 UTC 2002

Hi,
   I am running Bind-9.2.1 (named chrooted) on HP-UX 11.11. On localhost
(on DNS Server) when I do "nslookup test", it gives "connection timed
out; no servers could be reached. If I give"nslookup test.domain.com" it
works fine.  From UNIX client it gives "server can't find test
NXDOMAIN". But if give "nslookup test.domain.com" it works fine. I start
named with "/usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u 119 -t /var/named -c
/etc/named.conf". If I won't give "-c" options it gives error in syslog
as named.conf not found.

I am running Bind-9.1.1 (named chrooted) on HP-UX 10.20. On localhost
(on DNS Server) when I do "nslookup test" OR "nslookup test.domain.com"
it works fine.  From client machine if I try "nslookup test" it gives
"server can't find test NXDOMAIN". But if give "nslookup
test.domain.com" it works fine.  Here I start named with
"/usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u 119 -t /var/named".  In this named picks
up the named.conf from /var/named/etc/named.conf automatically.

Both the servers have same named.conf and zone files. I ran
named-checkconf and named-checkzone without any errors.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.