Subdomain question.....

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Jun 12 19:34:01 UTC 2002

Ian B <ian_barraclough at yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK - pretty simple question really - I need to add a subdomain that
> has the same name as an A record in the parent domain. This is to
> cover a marketing typo that was released in error!

> Basically I need to say

> name      IN   A     1.2.3.4

> and then in the subdomain

> www       IN   CNAME     name.parent.com.

I would do :

1/ remove the 'A' record in the parent, replace with a 'NS' to the servers
   for the subdomain
2/ in the zonefile for the subdomain, add an 'A' record for the subdomain itself :

@	IN	SOA (whatever )
	IN	NS	1-st server
	IN	NS	2-nd server
	IN	A	( yout IP here )

3/ did i see that you used bind 8.2.1 ?  REPLACE REPLACE REPLACE !!!
It has serious security holes !

--
Peter Håkanson