Caveats for moving bind from one server to another?

Sam Pointer sam.pointer at hpdsoftware.com
Fri Jun 7 14:36:44 UTC 2002

What I have done in the past is to make the new nameserver a slave of
the old server and let the zone transfer automagically. This way you
can ensure that the new one is stable whilst keeping the old one
going. When everything seems OK then perform whatever the swap
entails (turning off the old box, swapping IP addresses, et al) and
make the minor config changes to turn your "new-old slave" into a
master.