Name Server Registration

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Jun 2 02:16:17 UTC 2002

> Hi All
>
> Can some one please explain this to me.
>
> At what stage did it become neccessary to register name servers? EG:
> To be able to delegate domain names to a DNS server it is necessary to
> register ns1.domainname.com with an IP address. Any delegation attemp
> will fail until this is done.

	Like always.  There was a implict registration when you submitted
	a registration request for a zone.  It was changed to be explicit
	years ago.  Host have to be registered so that glue records can
	be maintained in the parent server.

	Glue records are those records that are required to be held
	outside the zone they are in to enable the servers for the
	zone to be contacted.

> Is this documented in an RFC anywhere? (I have searched)
>
> How does it work?
> I know this -- if I register ns1.domainname.com as a name server with
> an IP address (ns1.domainname.com -- 192.168.1.1) yet in the zone file
> for domain.com the ns1 record is as follows ns1.domainname.com --
> 192.168.1.2, whenever you do a lookup on this host ns1.domainname.com
> you only ever get back the 192.168.1.1 IP address. Why is the actual
> ns1.domainname.com record in the domainname.com zone file not
> returned?

	Because the glue record is found first in the resolution process.
	It is your responability as the maintainer for domainname.com
	to ensure that the parent zone is kept upto date.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org