RNDC major problem (need help)

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Tue Jul 23 16:04:11 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 10:42:42AM -0400, Eric Allard wrote:

> I just upgrade my slave dns server from the version 8.3.1 to 9.2.1 that
> I use with a master server using bind version 8.3.1. When I try the
> command "rndc dumdb" on my slave server, I don't get any answers and
> the process is not responding and the named does't answer during this
> time. I have to kill the process "kill -9 'cat /var/run/named.pid'" and
> restart the process to get back my dns answering. We are ISP with
> about 2000 zones and know that we certainly have a big cache.

Well, if you're running a proper DNS architecture, and have separated
your authoritative service from your recursive service, you shouldn't
have any cache at all on your authoritative servers. bind 9 does not
dump authoritative or hint data on a dumpdb.

That said, what is in your log files at the time you attempt to dump the
cache? Is named blocking on a write to the dump file?

-Pete