win2k with MS DNS as a secondary to a FreeBSD/BIND primary

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Jul 21 03:19:58 UTC 2002

At 01:23 PM 7/20/02, Jack Smith wrote:
>Is it possible, I'm looking at this for cost constraints, I have some
>software that will require win2k to run and will be needing to put a my
>backup DNS in the same location, but I can't afford to buy a completely
>seperate server for the backup DNS so it'd be perfect if I could add MS DNS
>and use that as a backup to bind.  I'm somewhat new to DNS config, I have
>done some research and have some books on order to learn more but haven't
>found anything on the possiblity of doing this.
>
>Thanks
>Jack

Just install BIND on the W2K system.  It doesn't require a server to run,
unlike MS DNS. There are Win32  kits available for download from the
ISC Web site: http://www.isc.org/ . There are kits for both BIND 8 and BIND 9.
You will also be better off as the zone and configuration files are the same
on Win32 as the are on Unix and they work the same way.

Danny