Winnt 8.x Named-Xfer Buffer Limit - Zone Transfer Problem

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Jul 15 20:39:03 UTC 2002

Sam Norris <Sam at changeip.com> wrote:

> Hello - I am having a major issue with BIND 8.x running on Windows NT 2k.  I
> have the same problem with any versions of BIND 8.  This problem does not
> exist other platforms I believe, just WinNT.  If someone could help me out
> with this I would greatly appreciate it.  I am sure that some other people
> have been running into this problem using the WinNT port but possibly
> haven't narrowed the problem down enough.  I saw a lot of other posts about
> having syntax errors and this must be the cause of the Premature EOF, but I
> have made 110% sure that there are no syntax errors...

> Problem:  I am unable to transfer zones FROM a winnt bind service that
> results in a file greater than 52k.  The transfer gets about 50-60k worth of
> data then stops.
%%% the rest removed %%%

bind-8.2.3 is quite old. I would replace with a fresh one
and try again.  Why not 9.2.1 which is avaliable at isc.org ?

The amount makes me belive that a 16-bit int has been used
as length counter, a later compiler might have been more successful
in interpreting headerfiles.

And, btw, why spend time and efforts on NT when any un*x clone
would do the job better with less hazzle and certenly less cost ?

Regards
--
Peter Håkanson