Winnt 8.x Named-Xfer Buffer Limit - Zone Transfer Problem

Sam Norris Sam at ChangeIP.com
Mon Jul 15 18:38:59 UTC 2002

Hello - I am having a major issue with BIND 8.x running on Windows NT 2k.  I
have the same problem with any versions of BIND 8.  This problem does not
exist other platforms I believe, just WinNT.  If someone could help me out
with this I would greatly appreciate it.  I am sure that some other people
have been running into this problem using the WinNT port but possibly
haven't narrowed the problem down enough.  I saw a lot of other posts about
having syntax errors and this must be the cause of the Premature EOF, but I
have made 110% sure that there are no syntax errors...

Problem:  I am unable to transfer zones FROM a winnt bind service that
results in a file greater than 52k.  The transfer gets about 50-60k worth of
data then stops.

Symptoms:  Cannot transfer any zone file that is larger than 52k in size.  I
have over 5000 zones, all zones under 52k transfer with no problems, not one
above 52k will come across.

Currently I am transferring from WinNT 2kDNS to BIND with no problems.  BIND
will act as a secondary no problem and transfer the zones 100% from the
primary Win2k DNS server.  Now if I try to transfer from BIND to BIND using
the WinNT version 8.x I am having failures on all larger zones.

Domain Name:  WHA.LA
Zone File Size on primary:  437k
Named.Conf config is shown below.

These are the errors that I can see:

Using NSLOOKUP and performing an LS -D WHA.LA gives me this:
    ... lots of data transferred up here... everything up to this point is
good.
     add                            MX     10   mail.wha.me
     add                            MX     20   mail.add.wha.la
     add                            A      68.7.225.122
     edit.add                       A      68.7.225.122
     wha.add                        A      68.7.225.122
     *** invalid name, terminating transfer.
    *** Can't list domain wha.la: Unspecified error

---> there are no syntax errors, the eventlog/syslog doesn't report
anything.  Also if I edit the file and remove 1-2 records it fails in a
different spot.  I cannot determine how BIND decides which order to put the
records in... so I tried removing one record at a time until I was able to
successfully transfer the zone.  I weeded the zone file down to 52k and then
it transferred.  (That took a while!)

Event Viewer:
    Premature EOF, fetching "wha.la"
----> this is generated from named-xfer process.

Named.Run debug log:
    req: nlookup(wha.la) id 5 type=252 class=1
    req: found 'wha.la' as 'wha.la' (cname=0)
    approved AXFR from [192.168.1.11].1090 for "wha.la"
    finddata(): buflen=65511
    zone transfer (AXFR) of "wha.la" (IN) to [192.168.1.11].1090 serial
175766
---> The file just stops and doesn't report any errors after this.  Notice
the buflen=65511, this is about how much data it gets before it dies.

This is the executable that BIND is calling to start the transfer:
    startxfer() wha.la
    d:\bind.i2\bin\named-xfer.exe -z wha.la -f wha.la.db -C 1 -P 13568 -d
1 -l xfer.ddt 66.185.162.20 axfr
    started xfer child 3028
    next maintenance for zone 'wha.la' in 7200 sec
---> no apparent problems here.

My named.conf I am using is below.  This is for testing and therefore does
not have some options that I am using in production - although I am getting
the same error no matter what I do.  If someone would like me to add them in
as an allow-transfer so they can test I have no problem doing that.

/*
BIND8.2.3 Secondary/Slave Auto Generated Config File: 7/15/2002 9:55:00 AM
*/

options
{
directory "D:\BIND.i2\ETC";
allow-transfer { 192.168/16; 64.50.47.227; 24.177.40.160; 66.185.162/24;
66.185.165/24; 127.0.0.1; };
version "ChangeIP-BIND";
};

zone "." IN {type hint; file "db.cache";};
zone "wha.la" IN {type slave; file "wha.la.db";  masters {
66.185.162.20; };};
zone "zzux.com" IN {type slave; file "zzux.com.db";  masters {
66.185.162.20; };};