Primary Nameserver change

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 12 22:53:52 UTC 2002

Vassil Dimitrov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:
>

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> We have a Primary Nameserver serving a couple of domains.
> >> And we're hosting domains from different TLDs, like .com, .net, .at, .de,
> >> .co.uk, etc.
> >>

> >> Since we are switching the ISP, the IP address of the NS will be changed,
> >> so right now I have 2 nameservers running, one on the old IP and one on
> >> the new IP.
> >>
> >> I have change the registration of the NS in www.netsol.com, I have
> >> informed the secondary nameserver to take updates from the new IP
> >> address.
> >
> > What's are the names of your nameserver?  We can't automatically
> > assume that updating the address with network solutions is the
> > only place it needs to be updated.  Depending upon the names
> > you may need to inform other registries.
>
> Which names do you mean? The name of the nameserver or the names of the
> domains for which it is a master? Or the top level domains?
>
> Is there a known way to find out where this nameserver is registered for the
> different TLDs. For example .com/.net/.org is Network Solurion, and what
> about the other TLDs? Or this is dependant on where the respective domains
> where registered?

Use WHOIS or the equivalent for the various ccTLDs (country-code top-level
domains).

I wouldn't assume that all .com/.net/.org have been registered through Network
Solutions. Registration in those gTLDs is competitive now, and has been for a
number of years. You didn't know that? Then NSI is probably still making a lot
of money off you; more probably than some other registrar would, for at least
the same level of service. It pays to be an informed consumer. Shop around.

- Kevin