named.conf option quirk - Linux vs. Solaris

Rick Crelia rcrelia at cobaltgroup.com
Thu Jul 11 16:28:22 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I'm doing some R&D and have built 8.3.3 on both Solaris and Linux as
part of that. I added the "cleaning-interval" option to named.conf on
each system and see two different behaviors. BTW, "cleaning-interval"
is how long BIND waits before flushing stale records from the cache. By
default, this value is 60 minutes:

options {
   cleaning-interval 60;
};

Problem:

On Solaris, the cleaning interval is changeable. That is, if I use
120 instead of 60, then the cache is flushed every 2 hours instead of
every hour.

On Linux, BIND ignores the setting and the cache is flushed every 60
minutes no matter how I set cleaning-interval.

I checked the CHANGES, TODO, etc. to no avail. Has anyone else
seen this behavior? Am I missing something obvious that is a
function of the platform difference?

TIA,

--rc

 Rick Crelia                      rick at cobaltgroup.com
 Sr. Systems Engineer             Ph:  800-909-8244 x8293
 IT Hosting                       Cel: 206-396-9712
 The Cobalt Group, Inc.           Fax: 206-269-6350