Looking for DNS tracing tool

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Fri Jul 12 16:43:43 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 05:29:51PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:

> DJB's dnstrace is quite comprehensive, but I haven't yet started
> on properly processing the output, or how it handles errors. I
> assumed it was written more to demonstrate how hideously wide
> the trust in the DNS is distributed, than as a diagnostic aid.

Agreed. And some of the conditions it reveals are, frankly, terrifying.
But it's far and away the most comprehensive dns tracer I've ever seen.
And if you've never *completely* traced a record, using this thing can
be a bit daunting.

I actually like the idea that dns admins should run some of their own
records through dnstrace, just as an exercise in pedagogy. The DNS is
not nearly so simple a critter as it seems to many people...

-Pete