Looking for DNS tracing tool

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 16:29:51 UTC 2002

The most useful free tool I've seen is doc.

DNS Expert is thorough, but tend to spit up only error, rather
than providing a trace (it might do that somewhere).

You best bet is probably to wrapper around tools like "doc", as
I don't think any follow CNAMEs if the target is a CNAME.

You don't work for Akamai do you ;)

DJB's dnstrace is quite comprehensive, but I haven't yet started
on properly processing the output, or how it handles errors. I
assumed it was written more to demonstrate how hideously wide
the trust in the DNS is distributed, than as a diagnostic aid.