Question about adding new domains/subdomains/parenting (real confused here)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 1 22:08:47 UTC 2002

HYK_TremorZ at hotmail.com wrote:

> Ok,
>
>   I'm trying to add my host lucky.cs.uml.edu as a nameserver for my
> new domain name testing123.net (incidentally, lucky.cs.uml.edu and
> testing123.net will be on the same computer).  I've had problems
> adding lucky.cs.uml.edu to the list of name servers at register.com
> (which is what i used to register testing123.net).  Basically, the
> webform won't let me add it.  From my understanding, do i need to add
> an NS record to lucky's parent (cs.uml.edu... saturn.cs.uml.edu being
> the nameserver for the cs.uml.edu zone) indicating that lucky is a
> nameserver?
>
> Would the following record on saturn.cs.uml.edu work:
>
> lucky IN NS lucky.cs.uml.edu.
>
> (ps, there should already be an A record for lucky on saturn).

No, that's completely unnecessary, and unless you're actually going to
define a "lucky.cs.uml.edu" zone on lucky.cs.uml.edu, it would be lame
for the zone. Which is Not a Good Thing.

Do you think the name of every nameserver on the Internet has its own
zone? fxshpr01.extra.daimlerchrysler.com -- as one example among many --
doesn't.

TALK TO YOUR REGISTRAR. Making wild conjectures about what your
registrar requires or doesn't require, for their proprietary
registration form/CGI/whatever, isn't a very efficient way of resolving
this issue. Sometimes you just have to go directly to the source. Email
and the telephone are wonderful inventions.

- Kevin