static /dynamic for same domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 29 22:56:59 UTC 2002

Schelstraete Bart wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a  question about BIND 8.1.2
> We are using BIND 8.1.2 for static and dynamic IP address in our domain.
> We heve ip-ranges were we only accept dynamic updates, and we have
> ip-ranges were we only accept static ip-address...;but they belong to
> the same domain.
> For example:
>         dynamic ip:            10.8.25.3                    name:
> pc1.test.com
>         static ip:                 10.8.20.2                    name:
>  pc2.test.com
>
> I don't have any problems adding records to the reverse ranges, but I
> have some problems adding static names to the 'test.com' domain.
> and this because test.com (for example. db.test.com)  is a mix of static
> and dynamic IP address/names.
>
> I can add IP/names to the test.com domain with the nsupdate tool, but
> the problem is that also the static IP-addresses /names dissapear after
> a while (TTL).
> (for example:                  nsupdate > update add pc2.test.com 3600
> IN A 10.8.20.2 )
>
> Do somewhone knows how I can fixt that, so that BIND doesn't remove the
> static IP-address/names ?

No, Time to Live doesn't mean that the record expires from the master
server. It means only that it expires from other server's caches. Once the
record is expired, caching servers can refresh the data by asking about it
from an authoritative server for the zone. The record is still there in the
master.

Regardless of the TTL value, a record created by nsupdate is "permanent"
(unless of course nsupdate or some other Dynamic Update mechanism deletes
the record).

- Kevin