wrong reverse dns answer, corrupted cache

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Jan 27 23:31:36 UTC 2002

> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 11:14:00AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> > Nate Campi wrote:

> soning
> a of
>  data of
> eserver

> rs
> > >
> > > Doug,
> > >
> > > Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure?
> >
> > 	Completely. Not only was the dig output unambiguous, but I dumped the
> > db the last time it happened and the record was there clear as day.
>
> Maybe for all our benefit you could share information on the actual
> servers that poisoned your cache and the RRs/domains that caused the
> trouble. We can test against 8.3.0.
>
> TIA,

	The thing Doug has failed to mention is that he sees this on
	servers *behind* a forwarder.  There is no "baliwick" when you
	are behind a forwarder.

	BIND 8 prior to 8.2.5 would allow records to slip through in the
	answer it sent on that it didn't cache.

1232.   [bug]           don't assume the forwarder has dropped bogus records.

1231.   [bug]           always restart a query if we dropped records when
                        parsing.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org