DDNS and BIND

gianfranco.continati at generali.ch gianfranco.continati at generali.ch
Wed Jan 23 05:37:44 UTC 2002

Hi Joseph

> > I have Solaris8, BIND 8.2.2-P5 and and DHCP 3.0 on a SUN Server.
> you should think of upgrading your BIND to 8.3.0-REL.
>

> > How can I prevent the growth of the named.??.ixfr files?
> > Is there an option to delimit or to recycle these files?
>
> try this:
>
> options	{ max-ixfr-log-size 40; }; where 40 is a number depending on what
> you want.  However, the man page for named.conf (8.3.0-REL) says that it
> will be used in a future release to limit the size of the ixfr transaction
> log but it appears to work in that release.
>
> Joseph.

Tanks for your help

I installed BIND 8.3.0 on my secondary an primary DNS server. When I start
the new named daemon on my primary I have the following error:

root at robo:/usr/sbin ( 92 ) >  cp -p in.named.8.3.0 in.named
root at robo:/usr/sbin ( 93 ) >  /usr/sbin/in.named &
[1] 9961
root at robo:/usr/sbin ( 94 ) > get_serial_unchecked(generali.ch): can't locate zone SOA

[1]    Abort                /usr/sbin/in.named (core dumped)

root at robo:/var/named ( 86 ) > adb core
core file = core -- program ``in.named'' on platform SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
SIGBUS: Bus Error

On my secondary DNS server all is running well.

Thanks for help.

conti