primary forwarding requests to secondary

Jobe Bittman jobe at tns.net
Wed Feb 27 19:13:48 UTC 2002

Well I tcpdumped yesteerday when it was working. When I did an rndc reload
cyberkeep.com on the secondary, n1.tns.net, I saw a packet go out to
cyberkeep and a reply. When I tcpdump'd today now that it stopped working,
when I do an rndc reload I do not see a packet going to cyberkeep. I dont
get what could be causing this behavior.

At 06:47 PM 2/27/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>In article <a5j942$nep at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jobe Bittman  <jobe at tns.net> wrote:
> >Is is valid to have the primary authoritative name server forwarding all
> >non-authoritative requests to the secondary name server? I have a really
>
>I don't think forwarding should have any effect on master/slave
>relationships.
>
> >weird issue I can't seem to fix. The domain cyberkeep.com has its primary
> >name server set to cyberkeep.com and is running 9.1.3. The secondary
> >ns1.tns.net stops resolving the domain after a day. The is server is
> >running 9.2.0. I tried also setting up bind 8.2.5 at 216.86.143.14 and it
> >still is able to resolve cyberkeep. Only the 9.2.0 machine stops resolving
> >the domain. I think this is some sort of misconfiguration rather than a bug.
>
>There must be something preventing ns1.tns.net from refreshing the domain.
>You have your SOA Expire time set to 1 day, so if this continues for a day
>the slave server expires the zone.
>
>You need to check the log on ns1.tns.net to find out what its problem is.
>
>--
>Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
>Genuity, Woburn, MA
>*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
>Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
>group.

Jobe Bittman
System Administrator
Terracom Network Services