primary forwarding requests to secondary

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Feb 27 18:47:56 UTC 2002

In article <a5j942$nep at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jobe Bittman  <jobe at tns.net> wrote:
>Is is valid to have the primary authoritative name server forwarding all
>non-authoritative requests to the secondary name server? I have a really

I don't think forwarding should have any effect on master/slave
relationships.

>weird issue I can't seem to fix. The domain cyberkeep.com has its primary
>name server set to cyberkeep.com and is running 9.1.3. The secondary
>ns1.tns.net stops resolving the domain after a day. The is server is
>running 9.2.0. I tried also setting up bind 8.2.5 at 216.86.143.14 and it
>still is able to resolve cyberkeep. Only the 9.2.0 machine stops resolving
>the domain. I think this is some sort of misconfiguration rather than a bug.

There must be something preventing ns1.tns.net from refreshing the domain.
You have your SOA Expire time set to 1 day, so if this continues for a day
the slave server expires the zone.

You need to check the log on ns1.tns.net to find out what its problem is.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA