Is possbile automatically normal server connection after web server down?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Feb 27 15:43:08 UTC 2002

In article <a5hs0b$dap at pub3.rc.vix.com>, jenny <mjjung at gngidc.net> wrote:

>hi~all.
>we using BIND 8.2.4 on solaris 5.7.
>
>I wonder the following senario is possible.
>

>location : A, B(for Disaster Recovery)
>Each location's network is another network.
>
>Location A : web server-org (1.1.1.1)
>Location B : web server-bk  (2.2.2.2 )
>
>if original web server(1.1.1.1) down at A , web server autoimatically starts
>via backup web server(2.2.2.2).
>

>Is possbile above senario ?
>if possbile, how to configure nameserver for above senario?

BIND doesn't have anything built-in to support this.  You can write a
script that runs via cron and periodically checks whether server-org is
running.  If it's not, it edits your zone file to change the A record for
your web server to point to 2.2.2.2 and performs "ndc reload".

You could also investigate non-BIND solutions like 3DNS or Distributed
Director, which do this automatically.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA