Migrating Users between domains

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 15:07:27 UTC 2002

graham.lake at trelleborg.com wrote:

> When DNS2 is started the clients cannot get queries resolved - I thought
> that the client would query one of the servers & if it didn't get an answer
> then it would query the other one, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
> Shouldn't this work?

No, that isn't what DNS clients are suppose to do, although some
Microsoft clients now try and do something similar, down this
road lies madness.

I think the text on the DNS config panel is highly misleading in
this regard, although Cricket praises it in his book for being
clearer than the previous version?!

> To try & overcome the problem we have set the 'forwarders' entry in DNS2
> named.conf to '10.57.132.2' so that if DNS2 couldn't resolve a query it
> passed it to DNS1 for resolving: that worked OK with NT PCs, but not with
> Win2k PCs!

Rather than mess around with forwarding I suggest each DNS act
as slave for the zone the other is master for. The goal is that
all the DNS servers listed on a client have the same view of the
DNS. i.e. Whichever one you ask, you get the same answer.

If you'd done the forwarding right this should have worked. Note
that W2K has a client cache, and forwarding would have to have
been forward-only for the zone. But forwarding doesn't sound
like a necessary or desirable in this circumstance.

The use of slaves will also make the service more robust.