Migrating Users between domains

graham.lake at trelleborg.com graham.lake at trelleborg.com
Wed Feb 27 12:40:24 UTC 2002

We are migrating users from one internal local DNS schema to an internal
hierarchical company wide DNS schema. Where we are setting up DNS for the
first time on a site we have no problem, but where we are migrating users
from the local schema to the new schema we are having problems with
resolving queries. This is the situation:

We have two DNS servers set up on Linux using BIND 8.3.x; 'DNS1' is master
for domain 'hghdns.xxx' (actual name!) on 10.57.132.2, 'DNS2' is master for
domain 'hgh.tau.trelleborg.com' on 10.7.132.3. The clients are WinNT or
Win2k PCs, with the two IP addresses set in the DNS servers field; they do
not have an entry in the domain name field, but they do have 'hghdns.xxx'
in the Domain Suffix Search Order field.

When DNS2 is started the clients cannot get queries resolved - I thought
that the client would query one of the servers & if it didn't get an answer
then it would query the other one, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Shouldn't this work?

To try & overcome the problem we have set the 'forwarders' entry in DNS2
named.conf to '10.57.132.2' so that if DNS2 couldn't resolve a query it
passed it to DNS1 for resolving: that worked OK with NT PCs, but not with
Win2k PCs!

DHCP is currently available on the site, but they are not using it at the
moment to propagate the DNS server info.

What is the best way to migrate the users from the 'hghdns.xxx' domain to
the 'hgh.tau.trelleborg.com' domain without losing resolution of queries?

I look forward to receiving your advice.

Thanks,
Graham
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above and may contain
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please let
us know immediately by return e-mail and then delete this e-mail, without
disclosing or copying the contents.