Static IP resolving in BIND 8.x

Arjen van Drie arjen-bind at 3va.net
Wed Feb 6 09:47:57 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 10:21, Oliver Neumann wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem with static IP resolving in bind 8.x!
>
> I want bind to statically resolv to adresses without creating zone-files for
> these IPs. How can I force bind to resolve e.g.
>
> foo.foobar.com --> 100.100.100.100
>
> and vice versa
>
> 100.100.100.100 -> foo.foobar.com
>
> without having to create zone-files for foobar.com? I configured
> nsswitch.conf (Linux System, SuSE) so that there is an entry
>
> Hosts        files dns
>
> but this doesn't work, Bind will not read the /etc/hosts File or does ignore
> it. Am I doing anything wrong?

You have a few things mixed up. Bind _never_ reads your /etc/hosts file.
This file is for your operating system. If you want to do what you wanna
do you do need a zonefile. That is the way it works.

/etc/hosts is for your OS, and is only read by localhost. In
nsswitch.conf you tell your machine where to look first for host info.
Bind really doesn't care about this.

Arjen