Help with zone files for .NAME domains

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Feb 1 00:59:29 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 07:45:25PM -0500, Justin Scott wrote:
> I thought with .name domains they maintained the second level delegation, so
> wouldn't it be..
>
> zone "daniel.stasinski.name" IN {
>   type master;
>   file "zone.daniel.stasinski";
> };
>
> ..instead?  I think that was the point of separating the first and last name
> instead of just having "firstlast.name" like regular domains.
>
> -Justin Scott, DtDNS Admin
>  http://www.dtdns.com

I wasn't aware that they treated it any differently from any other
domain.  Hold on one ...

"Uniquely for a gTLD, .name domains are only issued at the third level
 and therefore have two dots. This extra dot enables you to share your
 family name with thousands of others, vastly increasing your chance of
 using your full name as your web address."

I had not previously been aware of this.  I am now enlightened.  And of
course, this explained why I could not find stasinski.name, but can
find daniel.stasinski.name.  ;->  It looks like he could have chosen to
register stasinski.daniel.name ... I suppose that makes more sense for
names like yao.chou-sew.name, were I to use my paternal ancestors'
naming scheme.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B