zone file : subnetted multihomed

Walker Simon-SWALKER1 swalker at metrowerks.com
Mon Dec 16 15:24:34 UTC 2002

Hi Everyone,

As this is my first DNS project I wondered if there are any considerations that I must adhere to if I have a multihomed node (3 interfaces infact) and they are subnetted interfaces from the same main network address.

That is to say :

Original IP 192.168.50.0

Say I subnetted this into 4 networks (255.255.255.192) and now the interfaces on the node are like so :

192.168.50.1--<node>--192.168.50.65

         192.168.50.130

So in an example in O'reilly is says that you can have one hostname associated with a multihomed node. But I wondered how I go about doing this for a subnetted range like the one above? As how will the BIND Server know how to differentiate them for a particular client request?

I appreciated you help.

Regards,

Si.