Deleting zone files

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Fri Dec 13 04:22:26 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, sudhakar wrote:

> We used to have a zone file for A.domain.com  but off late we have removed
> the computers in the sub domain but domain.com still exists. So I was
> wondering if you gurus will be able to guide me on the steps and precautions
> that I need to take in deleting A.domain.com file from the DNS server.

1. Delete the zone from named.conf on the slaves, delete the zone file on
the slaves, reload (or reconfig) the slaves.

2. Delete the zone from named.conf on the master, delete the zone file on
the master (if it's not shared by other zones).

3. Delete the delegation records in domain.com, and up the serial.

4. Reload the master.

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?