Deleting zone files

José Enrique Díaz Jolly enrique at podernet.com.mx
Thu Dec 12 19:40:28 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, sudhakar wrote:

=>Hi Jose,
=>Okai I'm sorry for not being clear.
=>We used to have a zone file for A.domain.com  but off late we have removed
=>the computers in the sub domain but domain.com still exists. So I was
=>wondering if you gurus will be able to guide me on the steps and precautions
=>that I need to take in deleting A.domain.com file from the DNS server.

OK. There is not science on that then!

Remove zone configuration for A.domain.com in named.conf
In zone file for domain.com remove any delegation to A such as
A.domain.com.	NS	ns.domain.com

Increase serial for domain.com
Load your new conf
Remove your zone file for A.domain.com

That's it

--

-- 'Tis true; there's magic in the web of it. --Othello (III.iv.69) ---

The river is within us, the sea is all about us.
José Enrique Díaz Jolly				e-mail: enrique at podernet.com.mx
Podernet NOC - Systems Manager			  http://www.podernet.com.mx
Podernet +52 (55) 5257-0730			   icq: 14506020