using slave NS in glue records

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Wed Dec 4 00:01:53 UTC 2002

--On 3. desember 2002 12:52 -0800 Ricardo Anguiano
<anguiano at codesourcery.com> wrote:
> Will I encounter problems using two slave name servers as the primary
> and secondary name servers (listed in glue records at registrar) for a
> domain?

Are you thinking about having a hidden master server, like this?

Hidden master server (master.example.com)
====================

+--------slave1 (ns1.example.com)

+--------slave2 (ns2.example.com)

...and then only advertising ns1/ns2 at the registrar and in your zonefile?
That's no problem. Of course, ns1/ns2 themselves will have to know that the
real master is master.example.com (through the "masters"-statement in the
zone-config in named.conf).
If you are going to allow dynamic updates, they will normally be sent to
the server that is mentioned in the SOA record (called the MNAME if I'm not
mistaken), so you'll then have to either list master.example.com in the SOA
record, or you can list ns1.example.com and configure that server to
forward dynamic updates to master.example.com

I hope this was of any help (and that I'm not giving away incorrect
information. :)

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen