Authoritative record

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 3 23:56:24 UTC 2002

Dave Comcast wrote:

> Take a look at this zone file and see what I'm missing.
>
> $TTL 3600
> @ SOA ns3.romehosting.com. webmaster.rubymanager.com.
> (
>  2002120303 ; zone serial number in ccyymmddxx format
>  21600 ; slave polls master for SOA/serial number
>  1800  ; slave re-polls unreachable master
>  864000  ; slave expires zone after master unreachable
>  86400)  ; TTL for negative answers
>
> ; Name servers
> @   NS  ns3.romehosting.com.
> @  NS  ns1.romehosting.com.
> ;
> ; Host names and addresses
> ;
> @   A  68.60.10.202
> localhost A 127.0.0.1
> ftp  A  68.60.10.202:21
> mail  A  68.60.10.202.8080

One of your A records has a colon on its right-hand side, and another has 5
octets. Looks like you're trying to embed port-number gunk into your A
records, and that simply doesn't work. Just map from the name to the IP
address and find some other way to deal with the port numbers (port 21 is the
default for FTP so you shouldn't even need to do anything special for that
one).

Note: if clients would ever support the SRV record type, you could use that to
specify alternate port numbers. But that's probably years away.

- Kevin