Multiple PTR or not?

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Thu Aug 8 15:20:41 UTC 2002

% to me this doesn't seem logical. two domains using the same address
% space. The primary dns server will actually function as
% dns.beth.k12.pa.us and ns.bethsd.org.
%
% -- im trying to measure twice and cut once :)
% any advice you guys could give me would be helpful.
%
% --j

you can code multiple PTRs.  e.g.

dns.beth.k12.pa.us.	in a 192.0.2.10
ns.bethsd.org.		in a 192.0.2.10
..
10.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa. in ptr dns.beth.k12.pa.us.
10.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa. in ptr ns.bethsd.org.

however...
As mark and others have told you, nearly every application will
only use the first PTR they get.

So, for your purposes, code both all three zones, with the 2.0.192.iaa
zone having multiple entries.  When you are comfortable w/ the DNS
working properly (zones load w/o error, proper answers are given) then
you can start removing the older PTR entries

At least this is how I understand the situation as described.
YMMV

--bill