Multiple PTR or not?

jeff donovan jdonovan at dns.beth.k12.pa.us
Thu Aug 8 13:09:10 UTC 2002

Hi jim thanks for the reply

>Could you just setup the required machines to search the k12.pa.us
>domain? If you are using Unix or Windows, this is pretty straight
>forward. Sorry if I missed the problem.
>
>Jim

the k12.pa.us domain is currently setup and running ( has been for
years ). and I have been asked to add bethsd.org in addition to the
k12 domain. It's not like I'm just adding a web server. They want to
have both domain names function for the same address space ( which is
several class C blocks ).
Where i get confused is that this is not a sub domain that is under
the .us tree.

My problem is understanding how reverse lookups should be handled. i
can create the the forward files with the same addresses as the k12
domain, but then what do I do about reverse lookups. At this point I
have been advised several times "not" to use multiple PTR records.

to me this doesn't seem logical. two domains using the same address
space. The primary dns server will actually function as
dns.beth.k12.pa.us and ns.bethsd.org.

-- im trying to measure twice and cut once :)
any advice you guys could give me would be helpful.

--j