"Hidden" Primary DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 27 20:40:55 UTC 2002

u n d e r a c h i e v e r wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2002 06:57:13 -0000, zeremy <zeremy at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > However for some security  and other reasons, (like...our Primary DNS
> > Server = modified bind + sql + apache + sql), we think it's better to
> > leave the primary dns server only for managing dns, and let the secondary
> > servers do the naming services.  (i.e. both advertising ns for everyone
> > and resolving ns for specific networks)
>
> if you are designing a system from scratch, and security, split horizons,
> useability and database integration are of interest to you, i suggest you
> look at the djbdns suite of programs, and some of the database / LDAP
> integrations you can use with it.

Not to mention looking at all of the other tools/utilities/doodads that you
have to download, build, install and configure on your system(s), just to get
the damned thing to work. And hopefully you don't have a sysadmin style that
differs even an iota from DJB's, because then you're basically SOL...

- Kevin