TTLs' and notifies

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Aug 15 13:54:41 UTC 2002

Steve Foster <fosters at uk.psi.com> wrote:

> Hi there,

> if i have a domain secondaried that has a TTL of 4 days , and the primary
> server sends me a notify of an update, should my secondary automatically
> refresh the zone, and reset the TTL, or will it wait until the domain has
> expired before performing the refresh.

the slave should upon receiving a notify set teh SOA TTL to zero,
which triggers a serial number check and a following zonetransfer.

Expiration of a zone is something else, it's when a slave hasn't
been able to check serial and starts returning SERVFAIL for
queries about that zone.

--
Peter Håkanson