bind on standalone pc

Jens SHVQCHUKSNNP at spammotel.com
Mon Apr 29 12:36:33 UTC 2002

Matthew Thompson <matthew.thompson at lrfairplay.com> wrote:

> > And where do I put my CNAMEs if I don't have a master zone?
>
> Get BIND up and create a zone of ".internal", set your domain on the
> machine's host settings to ".internal"

Normally I set the domain of my PC to that of the provider. If I'm
connected to provider1, my domain is provider1.com, if I'm connected
to provider2, my domain is provider2.com. Therfore, in the first case
the name SMTP is interpreted as SMTP.provider1.com or in the other
case as SMTP.provider2.com.
Now I can define a alias (CNAME) where SMTP.provider1.com points to
mailrelay.provider1.com and SMTP.provider2.com points to
smtpx.provider2.com.

Currently, I have defined a zone of "com." to do that but that is not
very satisfying.

> Don't forget to change the serial number of the zone.

Why that?

Jens