bind on standalone pc

Matthew Thompson matthew.thompson at lrfairplay.com
Mon Apr 29 08:52:31 UTC 2002

> those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address at usa.net>
> wrote:
>
> > push a change into a local dynamic zone when you
> > connect, and undo the change when you disconnect.
>
> How would I define that?
> And where do I put my CNAMEs if I don't have a master zone?

If you don't understand where to put the CNAME for a record that you want to
change on dial up I think you need to take a step back and get BIND working
and play with it manually first.

Get BIND up and create a zone of ".internal", set your domain on the
machine's host settings to ".internal"

When you dial up, edit the ".internal" zone to reflect the settings you need
for that ISP.

Don't forget to change the serial number of the zone.

Reload the zone files.

When you are happy with doing this then see about setting up a script.

Seriously though - why do you need several ISPs? Surely you can pop collect
all you mail from anywhere?

M at t :o)

The information contained in this email and any files attached to it are
strictly confidential, may be legally privileged and are intended solely for
the addressee.  If you are not the named addressee, you may not use, copy or
disclose this information to any other person or take any action in reliance
of this transmission. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender or postmaster at lrfairplay.com immediately and delete the
message from your system.

Although this message has been subjected to virus checks utilising software
developed by Sophos, Baltimore and Network Associates, no guarantee is given
that it is totally virus free.

http://www.lrfairplay.com/      postmaster at lrfairplay.com