Recently Registered Primary DNS will not resolve by name

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Apr 15 18:55:50 UTC 2002

At 11:08 AM 4/15/02, Brian Guild wrote:
>Guys,
>
>Bear with me here because I am very new at bringing up DNS boxes.  Anyway, I
>registered my primary DNS, dns1.body1.com with my registrar Netsol.  When I
>do a whois on the name server through Netsol, I get the appropriate
>corresponding IP and name.
>
>Yet, when I try to resolve this server by name from, say, for example,
>another DNS server, I have no luck.  Yes, I can ping it by IP number, but I
>cannot communicate by name.  I have seen most other DNS servers set up so
>you can reach them by name.  Do I have anything to worry about?  Have I not
>configured or registered this machine correctly?
>
>I thought the whole reason you would set up your own DNS server is to free
>yourself from the dependancy of other DNS servers...but, it doesn't seem to
>be working that way.

That's because the domain name body1.com is registered with nameservers
at harvard.net. See below.  You need to change this in order to get things to
work properly.  Contact Netsol and change the nameservers that body1.com
is registered to be authorative.

; <<>> DiG 9.2.0 <<>> body1.com @192.26.92.30 ns
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;body1.com.                     IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
body1.com.              172800  IN      NS      AUTH01.NS.HARVARD.NET.
body1.com.              172800  IN      NS      AUTH02.NS.HARVARD.NET.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
AUTH01.NS.HARVARD.NET.  172800  IN      A       140.239.140.239
AUTH02.NS.HARVARD.NET.  172800  IN      A       209.21.182.4

;; Query time: 630 msec
;; SERVER: 192.26.92.30#53(192.26.92.30)
;; WHEN: Mon Apr 15 13:49:59 2002
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 115

         Danny