[bind-9.2.0-0.rc3.1mdk] help request with log and statistics file

Joe Kattner joe.kattner at adelphia.com
Thu Apr 11 16:36:34 UTC 2002

Logging can appear more confusing than it really is. Basically there are two
tasks you need to worry about:

1. Creating channel(s) which determine the location and behavior of the
logs.

2. Using the categories (specific the version of BIND) to direct events into
the defined channel(s).

logging {
        channel namedlog {
                file "/var/adm/named.log" versions 4 size 5M;
                severity debug;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
        };

        channel default_syslog {
                syslog daemon;
                severity info;
        };
        category client         { namedlog; };
        category config         { default_syslog; namedlog; };
        ......add more categories......
};

Refer to the BIND 9 ARM, sections 6.9 and all the 6.10.x sections for all
the options available for the channels, as well as the definitions for what
each category does. It may take some work to get everything fine tuned and
logging the way you want it, but it's not that hard. Just keep in mind when
you turn up debugging there will be a lot of logs, use the versions/size
limits for those channels to keep from overflowing drives.

--Joe