Newbie Question

Will Yardley william-nospam-newdream-net at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Wed Apr 10 01:28:13 UTC 2002

In article <a8ulhg$123 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Paul Guba wrote:
[don't top post]
> On Monday, April 8, 2002, at 11:09 AM, Barry Margolin wrote:

>> Sounds like you created A records for all the <name>.<yourdomain>
>> entries, but no A record for just <yourdomain>.  What did you expect
>> it to do when you asked it to look up something you didn't enter?

> Thanks for you earlier post  you were absolutely right.  I have added
> that A record and now nslookup mydomain.com works.  I still cannot
> nslookup www.mydomain.com.   Does there need to be a seperate record
> for <www> that I do not know of?  Sorry if this seems like a dumb
> question I'm just trying to wrap my brain around this stuff.

it's better to use 'host' or 'dig' rather than nslookup.
there is nothing special about 'www' - it's a convention, but it's a
subdomain just like anything else.

so if you want www.yourdomain.com to resolve (btw, it's generally a good
idea to give your real domain name rather than a fake one like
'mydomain.com', which i'm assuming you don't own), you will need to
creat a subdomain 'www', and add an A or CNAME record for this
subdomain.

the two common ways of doing this are:

@	IN A 123.123.123.123
www	IN A 123.123.123.123

or
@	IN A 123.123.123.123
www	IN CNAME mydomain.com.
(or more succinctly)
www	IN CNAME @

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.