Logging Question

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Apr 5 20:24:38 UTC 2002

Kenneth Kalan <kgk at northwestern.edu> wrote:

>I've noticed my logs getting full of
>
>Apr  3 09:35:29 barney named[379]: [ID 866145 local3.error] client
>{ip-address-of-client}
>1#1474: update '{domain-name}/IN' denied
>
>This seems to be from Win 2K machines trying to update the DNS, which they
>are set to do by default (windows default, not mine), but are not allowed
>to.  I've searched through the archives trying to find the solution.  No
>one seemed to have an answer except to modify the source code and recompile.
>
>I did, however, find this one link
>http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/archive.php?category=83&question=603 from
>ask Mr DNS.

I have posted the solution more than once, I believe.  You need to go
to each machine and turn off self-registration.  You can set a W2k
group policy to disable self-registration, but that does not affect
any machines that are already doing self-registration.

If your question was, "How do I keep from logging these messages?",
then IIRC, the answer was that there was no special logging class
for this message.  Turning off that message class will also disable
other messages.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov