Logging Question

Brian Dickson BCDICKSON at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Apr 4 14:40:08 UTC 2002

Something that might help with Win2k boxes trying to update DNS'.  Go to =
My Network Place, properties, and Local Connections, and properties, click =
on TCP/IP, and then properties.  Click on Advanced, and the DNS tab in =
that window.  Click the Register in DNS check box so that is off.  If you =
are down a zone (ie, wb.movies.edu) and it is trying to update movies.edu, =
you need to make sure that the 'Use this connections DNS suffix in DNS =
registration' is unchecked.

Brian

At 12:51 PM 4/3/02, bert hubert wrote:
>In article <a8f8fb$pdp at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Kenneth Kalan wrote:
>
> > Apr  3 09:35:29 barney named[379]: [ID 866145 local3.error] client
> > {ip-address-of-client}
> > 1#1474: update '{domain-name}/IN' denied
> >
> > This seems to be from Win 2K machines trying to update the DNS, which =
they
> > are set to do by default (windows default, not mine), but are not =
allowed
> > to.  I've searched through the archives trying to find the solution.  =
No
> > one seemed to have an answer except to modify the source code and=20
> recompile.
>
>I know of no way other then the dirty trick :-) below to make W2K stop
>sending these updates. We've tried sending RCODE 'not implemented' back =
but
>w2k persists.

That's not surprising.  Even if the W2K Client succeeds in registering =
it's
addresses in the DNS, it will reregister them every 24 hours, according to =
one
MS document I read.  You're better off making them think that they =
succeeded
except that legitimate applications like nsupdate need the correct =
response.
If it fails the update it will retry after 5 minutes, then 10 minutes =
and=20
retries
the sequence after anothe 50 minutes.

         Danny