HELP? WIn32 BIND v9.2.0 - single IP home cablemodem LAN, new domain purchase (complete msg)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Apr 2 01:03:51 UTC 2002

Your domain just now showed up in the tld servers, so I suspect that
your registration took longer than you expected.  I was looking for
your domain in tld servers and got some strange results and then
it came through with the NS addresses.

At 02:10 AM 4/1/02, Greg Long wrote:

>(My appologies if you read the partial message - new mail client, I hit
>SEND vs. SAVE DRAFT)
>
>After spending a couple days on the documentation and searching around
>for how-to's I'm still bit stuck on setting up BIND.
>
>Things SOMEWHAT make sense, but what I would think would be a most
>simple setup has still got me stumped.
>
>I purchased a domain, maneuveringspeed.com. I have set up the domain
>with godaddy.com, and successfully have it pointing to my server box
>running WinXP - eagle.maneuveringspeed.com at 66.190.240.42

You may want to add 127.0.0.1 to the front of the list of nameservers for
the system BIND 9 server is running on.  Unfortunately you need to do it
through the registry as the Network "wizard" won't let you add it in the
DNS tab.

>The named.conf and rndc.conf files are pasted in below.
>

>FIRST OF ALL: It's working for DNS resolution for everything BUT my domain.
>
>A whois report through Verisign's www.nsiregistry.com
>
>   Domain Name: MANEUVERINGSPEED.COM
>     Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
>     Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
>     Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
>     Name Server: NS1.CHARTER.COM
>     Name Server: EAGLE.MANEUVERINGSPEED.COM
>     Updated Date: 31-mar-2002
>

>I had to plug in my cablemodem's provider because I only have the one IP
>adddress (unless I can set two DNS servers up on my one IP - and
>preferably one box, though I could spare a second)
>EAGLE.MANEUVERINGSPEED.COM is registered as the primary, I see that the
>whois above lists it reverse order.

Putting your service providers address in is a mistake unless they are willing
to be a slave for your domain.  You will see intermittent failures if they are
inable to serve the zone. You should go to one of the free DNS Servers who
can provide you with this service.  Try http://www.secondary.com/   for one
provided by the people who developed BIND 9.

>My network configuration is quite simple, since my serving needs are
>just for myself and my small family, and the website will be very low
>traffic (family and friends, pictures, that sort of thing).  All the
>services I will use (mail, web, ftp, dns) will reside on one box.
>
>My IP is techincally dynamic, but is actually quite static (Thanks,
>Charter).  If it changes, I can reconfigure down the line and put up
>with the time delay for changes to become effective.
>
>I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 4port DSL/CABLE router - these are pretty
>common and function fine.  The internal LAN address for EAGLE is
>192.168.1.100 - and is currently set up as a DMZ while I troubleshoot,
>so all calls to port 953 (or 53 or any other than a few routed
>elsewhere) will go to this box.
>
>I'm pretty confident anything resolved to my IP (66.190.240.42) goes to
>this box, as I'm currently utilizing no-ip.com service for a friendly
>name (gregory.myftp.org - works great)
>
>I have seen some documentation which gives examples for name caching
>servers, reverse lookups, and a host of other setups which seem to me to
>be far more complicated than what I need - the resolution of anything
>that hits maneuveringspeed.com to resolve to my IP.
>
>NOTE FOR THOSE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE WIN32 VERSION OF BIND: As near as I
>can tell, it's close to the Linux version: The installer creates a dns
>dir in System32 with two subdirs: bin and etc.

Right.

>I want to go with BIND vs. a free or low cost Windows GUI DNS server as
>I'll be migrating all my services over to Linux 'fore too long and I'll
>be using BIND then for sure.
>
>I'm open to suggestions, if possible, sample configuration files? My
>current ones are below, note that the secret has been omitted here.
>
>----named.conf------------------------------
># Use with the following in named.conf, adjusting the allow list as needed:
>key "rndc-key" {
>algorithm hmac-md5;
>secret "{omitted}";
>};
>
>controls {
>inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
>allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
>};
>
>---rndc.conf---------------------------------
># Start of rndc.conf
>key "rndc-key" {