HELP? WIn32 BIND v9.2.0 - single IP home cablemodem LAN, new domain purchase (complete msg)

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Mon Apr 1 16:52:26 UTC 2002

on 3/31/02 11:10 PM, Greg Long at greg at gregory.myftp.org wrote:

> (My appologies if you read the partial message - new mail client, I hit
> SEND vs. SAVE DRAFT)
>
> After spending a couple days on the documentation and searching around
> for how-to's I'm still bit stuck on setting up BIND.
>
> Things SOMEWHAT make sense, but what I would think would be a most
> simple setup has still got me stumped.
>
> I purchased a domain, maneuveringspeed.com. I have set up the domain
> with godaddy.com, and successfully have it pointing to my server box
> running WinXP - eagle.maneuveringspeed.com at 66.190.240.42
>
> The named.conf and rndc.conf files are pasted in below.
>

> FIRST OF ALL: It's working for DNS resolution for everything BUT my domain.
>
> A whois report through Verisign's www.nsiregistry.com
>
> Domain Name: MANEUVERINGSPEED.COM
>   Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
>   Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
>   Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
>   Name Server: NS1.CHARTER.COM
>   Name Server: EAGLE.MANEUVERINGSPEED.COM
>   Updated Date: 31-mar-2002
>

> I had to plug in my cablemodem's provider because I only have the one IP
> adddress (unless I can set two DNS servers up on my one IP - and
> preferably one box, though I could spare a second)
> EAGLE.MANEUVERINGSPEED.COM is registered as the primary, I see that the
> whois above lists it reverse order.

Did your ISP set up a DNS entry for maneuveringspeed.com?  If not, then you
should not have put it in there.  If you need a second DNS server, you can
find free ones on the web.  I think www.zoneedit.com is one you can use.

> My network configuration is quite simple, since my serving needs are
> just for myself and my small family, and the website will be very low
> traffic (family and friends, pictures, that sort of thing).  All the
> services I will use (mail, web, ftp, dns) will reside on one box.
>
> My IP is techincally dynamic, but is actually quite static (Thanks,
> Charter).  If it changes, I can reconfigure down the line and put up
> with the time delay for changes to become effective.
>
> I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 4port DSL/CABLE router - these are pretty
> common and function fine.  The internal LAN address for EAGLE is
> 192.168.1.100 - and is currently set up as a DMZ while I troubleshoot,
> so all calls to port 953 (or 53 or any other than a few routed
> elsewhere) will go to this box.
>
> I'm pretty confident anything resolved to my IP (66.190.240.42) goes to
> this box, as I'm currently utilizing no-ip.com service for a friendly
> name (gregory.myftp.org - works great)
>
> I have seen some documentation which gives examples for name caching
> servers, reverse lookups, and a host of other setups which seem to me to
> be far more complicated than what I need - the resolution of anything
> that hits maneuveringspeed.com to resolve to my IP.
>
> NOTE FOR THOSE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE WIN32 VERSION OF BIND: As near as I
> can tell, it's close to the Linux version: The installer creates a dns
> dir in System32 with two subdirs: bin and etc.
>
> I want to go with BIND vs. a free or low cost Windows GUI DNS server as
> I'll be migrating all my services over to Linux 'fore too long and I'll
> be using BIND then for sure.
>
> I'm open to suggestions, if possible, sample configuration files? My
> current ones are below, note that the secret has been omitted here.
>
> ----named.conf------------------------------
> # Use with the following in named.conf, adjusting the allow list as needed:
> key "rndc-key" {
> algorithm hmac-md5;
> secret "{omitted}";
> };
>
> controls {
> inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
> allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
> };
>
> ---rndc.conf---------------------------------
> # Start of rndc.conf
> key "rndc-key" {
> algorithm hmac-md5;
> secret "{omitted}";
> };
>
> options {
> default-key "rndc-key";
> default-server 127.0.0.1;
> default-port 953;
> };

Is this your complete named.conf file?  If so, you never set up your domain
in there?  You should go get a book called "DNS and Bind" by O'Reilly.  It
is one of the best books on DNS.

Jeff
--
Jeff Grossman (jeff at grossman.name)