Transfer Errors from BIND9 server

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 30 09:50:58 UTC 2001

jmaimon at ttec.com wrote:

> I am getting these errors transferring from a MS4DNS server.

If you must use MS DNS your doing it the right way around, MS as
a secondary won't tell you things you ought to know about zone
transfers, which BIND does.

> Sep 29 22:08:42.339 xfer-in: error: transfer of 'exceris.net' from
> 160.79.111.67#53: receiving responses: CNAME and other data

A CNAME record exists for which other RR record also exist...
maybe

fred cname ....
fred mx .....

> Sep 29 23:14:04.850 xfer-in: error: transfer of 'onlinemktg.com' from
> 160.79.111.67#53: receiving responses: multiple RRs of singleton type

You probably have a duplicate CNAME record.

> Where can i find documentation on these error messages

http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/bind-messages.html

I remember when software vendors would give a complete list of
all error messages, and possible causes/resolutions, of course
then the error messages were more like "ABC1234 ABEND
encountered" (ABEND = ABnormal End, for the youngsters amongst
us), but the idea was sound.